Saturday, March 12, 2011

What’s your favorite?


Over the past year I’ve been fortunate to play golf courses from Pawleys Plantation on the south end to Cape Fear National near Wilmington, NC. Often hooked-up with visiting players, I’m always surprised at the number of Myrtle Beach area courses they’ve played. It goes to show what a popular destination this area has become.

Of course they always want to know a locals favorite course. That’s almost an impossible question to answer. Not trying to be politically correct, I always tell them I can find something good about almost every golf course I’ve played.

When pressed I’ll confess to having favorite architects. How do you not like Jack Nicklaus’s Pawleys and Long Bay? Tim Cate’s Thistle and Cape Fear National are great, but how do you choose one? Pete Dye is tough and both Prestwick and Barefoot Resort are proof. I could go on, but I’d probably list 75-percent of the area courses.

The point is there are some courses and designers that should be on everyone’s “Must Play” list. However, more than likely your Myrtle Beach area list is going to be pretty long and your favorite might change on every visit. Let me know what todays number 1 choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment